Thursday, 29 May 2014

Music Madness: Iggy Azalea, EXO, and S.H.E

Howdly-doodly~!

Okay I know I mentioned in my previous post that I would have a new one published on Tuesday which was yesterday (i'd started typing this post before midnight, when it was technically still wednesday lol) but, *gasp*! I failed to deliver on that promise!! D;

I felt terrible about it and last night I was trying really hard to just sit down and write at least a few paragraphs for a very basic post but unfortunately, I was just too plum-tuckered out :((

You see, for Monday to Wednesday I have classes that start at a criminally early hour. I usually sleep stupidly late on Sunday nights (because every single week I mess up my sleep cycle by waking up at 5PM on Saturdays), and the first two days of the school week are the longest. Coupled with the fact that the past weekend was spent burning the midnight oil for CP and other random fufu lame shit, I probably got about maximum six hours of rest over the span of three days :((

Therefore I was truly not able to blog at all last night, I seriously thought I was gonna die from tiredness! For the past few days I have been battling with dysania every morning, it's a legit struggle fighting the urge to skip school and just snooze the day away.

Okay but enough about that, let's get down to today's post!

I was searching through my phone pics to see what fun stuff I could blog about, but there haven't really been any "events" whereby I take a lot of photos during one day or activity. Rather, it was just a smattering of random pictures here and there, mostly of my school life and some of the shit I get up to during weekends and whatever small windows of free time I get haha.

Also, I feel like I've been quite absent on my blog and the few recent posts have mostly been of events that are way, waaay past. It's like nothing is current anymore!!

So today, I'm gonna be talking about something that has been a majorly predominant aspect of my life for the past few weeks! :D :D

!!!MUSIC!!!

Omg I cannot even BEGIN to explain how much I have been loving music lately.

Obviously I've loved listening to music since, well probably since the day I first started. And its role in my life definitely became progressively bigger as I grew up and went through stages of
  • being able to choose my own music to listen to
  • having my own very first set of earpieces and music players when i was a kid, fun!!
  • discovering new genres and languages, such as Mandopop and Kpop (and Japanese anime soundtracks omg, LOVE those)
  • when i started getting into kpop and dance, which helped me lose a lot of weight and definitely changed my life
  • when i got REALLY into rap music (which was just the end of last year) and became heavily influenced by Eminem, Nicki Minaj, Drake, and my queen Iggy Azalea. it's strange but rap music has honestly helped me so much and brought me so much joy. it's such a passionate genre, the fact that rap artists can take the pain, angst and every other shitty emotion they have ever experienced and translate it into such amazing words and songs, it is so insanely inspirational and worthy of admiration. plus, listening to rap music (and rapping myself haha) really ignites something deep within me and causes a surge of energy through my body, I LOVE IT I LOVE IT.

But anyway, lately I've been loving music SO much that I honestly feel that I can relate to what Mr Mario said during our first RTPM tutorial: "I can't live without music. Without it, I'd die."

At first I was like, oooookay lol settle down cowboy let's not get dramatic over here. Sure, I enjoy listening to music as much as the next guy but, I'm sure I'd still be able to continue living my life happily without that one part of my life.

But now, NOOOO. NO I DO NOT want to imagine a world where music does not exist!! It honestly brings so much joy to me, and is such a wonderful form of therapy.

Here are just a bunch of reasons why music is ESSENTIAL:
  • had a bad day? CRANK UP THE VOLUME and drown out all the noise of the world
  • listen to heartwrenching ballads and have a good cry
  • listen to songs that make you feel AWESOME and remind you of the badass that you are
  • music makes you feel sooooo good and happy
  • scientifically speaking, listening to music releases dopamine in your brain which is GRRREAATT
  • get JIGGY with it and BOOGIE on the dancefloor coz music was made to make you MOVE, BABY~!
  • music gets you PUMPED like nothing else!! except for drugs lol but those are BADDD STAY AWAY FROM DRUGS, CHILDREN!!
  • without music, would you be able to work out at the gym for a whole freaking hour? didn't think so.
  • THEY SET THE EMOTIONS IN MOVIES AND TV
  • THEY HAVE THE ABILITY TO CHANGE YOUR MOOD
  • AND ELICIT BEAUTIFUL MEMORIES
  • THEY SERVE AS A BRIDGE BETWEEN CULTURES AND LANGUAGES
AND THAT'S JUST THE TIP OF THIS BEAUTIFUL MUSICAL ICEBERG!!!!!! but as you can probably tell i am getting way off-topic and also kinda high so im'ma stop before this gets any further lol

I honestly have been so obsessed with music that I find myself listening to it ALL. THE FREAKING. TIME. While I'm chillin' in bed playing games on my phone or Nintendo DS (Mario Kart FTW, forever and ever~~), using the computer, getting ready, sitting in the car being driven from one place to another and of course, when I'm taking the train/bus/walking, going anywhere and everywhere. In fact, I find myself starting to wish that the commute to and from school would be just a tad longer so I could squeeze in more songs to listen to!! I get so sad when I reach the classroom and have to take my earpiece out :(( And another thing, I kinda not want to go home with my friends because then I'll have to converse with them instead of listening to my music...LOL WHAT IS THISSS MUSIC IS MAKING ME ANTISOCIAL WTF!!

So yeah.

I've also started to sing and/or rap whilst I'm sitting on the toiletbowl LOL. And trust me, once it becomes a habit it's kinda hard to control yourself and not burst into song while you're peeing IN PUBLIC hahahaha.

Oh gosh what did I just reveal to the internet.

ANYWAYS.

Here's some of the music I've been listening to A LOT for the past 2-3 weeks~~

1. IGGY AZALEA'S 1st ALBUM, 'THE NEW CLASSIC'



This. Is. THE SHIT.

Oh my god seriously though it was so worth the wait coz EVERYTHING IS PERFECT. Well, with the exception of 'Lady Patra' which, as big a fan of Iggy as I am, I can't say that I like because the dude in the song is annoying as hell especially when he just starts obnoxiously shouting a bunch of incoherent crap in the beginning of the song and makes me wince and press the 'skip' button faster than the speed of light.

Other than that travesty, every single song is flawless and amazing and the first week after getting the album, I'd already listened to everything on loop for at least 300 to 2,000 times.

It's safe to say that I've memorised not only the lyrics to every song in the album, but also each beat riff, every guitar strum, every single breath and timing of each word down to the last syllable.

THAT'S how much I love Iggy Azalea. Praise the queen. #AZALEAN4LYFE

Some of my favourites: 'Don't Need Y'all' (probably my favourite song on the album that wasn't a single), 'Walk The Line', 'Impossible Is Nothing' (i REALLY love how all her songs are super motivational in a way that she tells you her story and the struggles she has overcome, but also making it about YOU and how YOU can achieve whatever you set your mind to. brilliant stuff, truly), 'Black Widow', 'Just Asking' (really helped me get over the period where i found out that my crush actually has a girlfriend hahaha awww), and 'New Bitch' (which makes me feel like a bad bitch when i'm walking down the streets fresh as hell blasting this song in my ears lol).

So basically every single song HAHA.

Oh and of course, that's not including the singles that had already been released (i.e 'Work', 'Change Your Life', 'Bounce' and of course, 'Fancy') because y'all know that I've been listening to that shit RELIGIOUSLY since months and months and months ago. They've become like my life's anthem, for crying out loud.

God I freaking love Iggy Azalea.

I have this pic saved on my computer desktop...


because I love Iggy and I love staring at her phenomenal ass that is totally worthy of worship lolololol omg is that weird??! I swear I am not a lesbian hahahaha OK MOVING ON!!

2. KPOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! More specifically, EXO <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3




Oh my flibbity flabbity goodness, someone call the doctor coz I am OVERDOSING on my love for Exo (hit me up if you got that reference coz we need to be bffs).

I kinda hate my cousin (in an affectionate way, of course. that dude is THE BOMB) for asking me two weeks ago whether I'd checked out Exo's new song, to which I scoffed "psssh, no! i am SOOO over kpop, and soooo over Korean boy groups, and DEFINITELY sooooooooo over Exo~"

Because it had been about a whole solid year of me having successfully torn myself apart from the world of Kpop Idol Obsession, a phase which I'd been in from 2009 to some time in between 2012/2013.

But then curiosity and boredom got the better of me, and I sat down and watched Exo's new music video.

BAM.

Instant infatuation.

ESPECIALLY with this life-ruiner named Park Chan Yeol. 

It's funny coz I never noticed him AT ALL even when I loved Exo like crazy during my Kpop phase (I liked Kris and Sehun back then), but when I watched his rap segment,

I COULD ALMOST

FEEL

MY OVARIES IMPLODING WITHIN ME.

Oh. My. God.

That boy is hot.

Ok it might be because he's a rapper and I like rap??!?!??!? I don't even know lol.

All I know is he is fineeee as all hell and that deep, raspy voice of his and those freaky, growling animal faces he likes to make just SET. MY HEART. ON FIRE.

JUST SET IT ABLAZE, I TELL YOU!

He is so hot omg.

Also, also, also. Can I just say that, if Chan Yeol is my bias (that's kpop lingo for "favourite person if the band", if you're wondering) from Exo-K, my bias from Exo-M would have to be

LAY.

MUTHA. EFFIN'. ZHANG YI XING.

DESTROYING MY IDEALS FOR MEN SINCE 1991.

i hate you.

BUT ALSO I LOVE YOU.

WHY ARE YOU SO PERFECT?!!

*cries*

Apart from 'Overdose', I've also been loving 'Wolf' which is highly hypocritical of me because for the past two years I've been tearing them apart for how maddeningly AWFUL that song is and how much I hated it to the core especially the part where they go "naega OOLF, naega OOLF, OWWWOOOOO~~ *weird squeaky voice*: saranghaeyo~!!" but now, I actually like the song?!!?!?!

Welcome to the world of being a blinded and delusional fangirl who is BIASED beyond belief, sighhhh hahaha.

I also just discovered 'Thunder' barely two days ago, which is a song on their latest album that has the ability to induce some very...intense...and sexual feelings within my soul...Ahem.

Okay before I go on any further can I just say that the perks of being an Exo fan is that you get to listen to split headset, also known as dual audio, songs whereby one side of the earpiece/headphone plays the Korean version of the song and the other side, the Chinese version.

So it's like the exact same song except two different languages, two different tones and voices, at the same time. Creating the most beautiful and eargasmic harmony in the whole entire world. Or should I say, the whole entire exoplanet. *wink wink* ;)

LOL OK I'M GONNA STOP NOW LOL.

Some non-Exo kpop songs I have been love-love-LOVING, both fresh & new and old & nostalgia-inducing ❤

(click on the titles to be brought directly to their Youtube videos which have ENGLISH SUBTITLES, very important if you don't understand Korean but wish to know what on earth the lyrics are actually about.

sure, the songs may sound great on their own and you'd definitely have a blast just listening to the music with no idea what they're singing about, but I believe that knowing the beautiful lyrics in a different language brings about a whole new dimension of enjoyment! it'll convert you into a kpop fan in no time, just like it did with me ☺)

'Lonely' and 'One Way Love' by Hyorin.. She is a straight-up QUEEN omg I always say that if I were a guy, she'd be the one I'd want to marry coz she is both cute AND hot as hell, and godDAMN that girl can sing!
'Bar Bar Bar' by Crayon Pop (no english subtitles for this one coz it's the global version under VEVO) lol, yet another song which I used to violently detest but now find myself loving. It's just so cheery and happy!! And don't judge me but I found the silly dance so cute that I went and learned the choreography instead of doing my RTPM and CP projects lol #priorities, am i right?
'Something' by Girls Day. Okay first of all, can I just say that I used to hate Girls Day but have gone on a complete 180 and now I think they are THE BOMB. I downloaded this song the night before I went on my Perth trip a few months ago, and during my 5-hour flight I swear to god I listened to this song AT LEAST 30 times. And about a hundred more throughout my entire time in Australia. And it remained one of my favourite songs even when I went on my vacation to Penang and I would listen to it every night while trying to fall asleep. Seriously, this song is so good. SO. GOOD!! *sheds a single tear*

Alright last but not least, I'm gonna talk about something that is going to be relevant for like -0.03% of the people who read my blog.

3. S.H.E



When I was about seven to twelve years old, I was super into Mandopop songs. My cousin first introduced it to me because he was a teenager then and music was a huge part of his popculture life, and I had just started discovering music that I wanted to listen to myself and not just the oldies that my parents were always playing for their own enjoyment lol.

My all-time favourite bands were S.H.E and 5566 (i was so enormously infatuated with them, especially Zax and Tony, that even as a pre-pubescent girl i would scream and burst into a fit of giggles from just looking at their album covers, much less watch their swagtastic old-school music videos).

I also really liked Jolin Tsai, Cyndi Wang and Jay Chou but for the former two, I only knew a couple of their songs and didn't listen to almost all of the tracks they released like my life depended on it.

Oh gosh, I still remember all those times I'd spend strutting around the corridor outside the HDB flat, grooving along to Mandopop hits on my freaking DISCMAN haha.



Who still owns one of these ancient relics?! Good times man, good times~~

I stopped following S.H.E in 2007 or so (I remember 'Play' was their last full album that I'd listened to) and throughout all these years, I hardly even entertained memories of them save for the occasional song or two of theirs which I'd randomly decide to listen to because I missed it.

And then, seemingly out of nowhere, I went on Youtube last week and saw this.

A WHOPPING 1 HOUR 47 MINUTE MEGAMIX MEDLEY OF ALMOST EVERY. SINGLE. S.H.E SONG THAT WAS RELEASED THROUGHOUT THE HISTORY OF FOREVER.

It felt like my heart was just being SQUEEZED for almost two hours and out came dripping all the MASSIVE FEELS and EXTREME WAVES OF NOSTALGIA just kept washing over me OVER AND OVER AGAIN, ENGULFING me with the most beautiful and saccharine memories ever.

It was amazing :')) ♡ ♡ ♡

Some of my faves (which was really hard to choose from coz honestly so many of their songs are absolutely AMAZING and each era and album brings with it a whole different set of memories for me):

I pretty much love like 98% of their songs like crazy so these are more like the FAVES of THE FAVES!

Sorted according to album (they have so many albums omg so proud of them <3), and once again you may click on the titles to be taken to their Youtube vids, yay!!

Girl's Dorm: '戀人未滿' (Lian Ren Wei Man/Not Yet Lovers)

Ohh boy, so much nostalgia. And guess what? After having heard this song about a billion times over the past decade, I only just found out YESTERDAY that it was a remake of 'Brown Eyes' by Destiny's Child lolololol. Seriously if not for that one internet comment I saw while listening to this S.H.E song on Youtube, I probably never would've known lol. I then proceeded to go check it out and it was mad trippy, every single tune was exactly the same haha! Cool shit~

Youth Society: 'Belief'

Omg, this is SOOOOOO old-school!! This was probably my #1 favourite song as a tiny little kid, it's seriously such an amazing song you HAVE to go listen to it!!

Super Star: '河濱公園' (He Bin Gong Yuan/Riverside Park)

Such a beautiful, mellow song! Really spins a tale of springtime romance and first loves, I also really enjoyed watching the MV for this :) (pretty school uniforms are my weakness HAHA)

and

'長相思' (Chang Xiang Si, Always Missing)

Not a very popular hit track but I loooooved singing this for karaoke!! I always sang it on this little kiddy toy karaoke mic + recorder set which my mum got me for my 11th or 12th birthday which kinda looked like this:

(except more advanced and not a Fisher Price baby toy lol but you get the idea)

And let me just say that at the time, I thought it was THE SHIT. Seriously, I was crazy about singing then so give me a working microphone and that little machine quickly became probably my most prized possession. If only I could find it now, but it's hidden somewhere deep within my Perth home and probably doesn't even work anymore aww :(

Soundtrack: '花都開好了' (Hua Dou Kai Hao Le, Flowers Have Blossomed)

This is one ballad that I would truly say is hauntingly beautiful. Especially if you've watched The Rose, the drama series that this was a soundtrack for, you'd understand how tragic everything was and the song is just the cherry on top of this heart-rending cake :'(

But the song is THE BOMB!!

Encore: '我愛你' (Wo Ai Ni, I Love You)

This song is soooooooooo amazing I can't even begin to explain!! The music video is pure cinematic perfection (the one i've just linked is for the shortened, song version but you can watch the full story version here) and I cry like a baby every time I watch it, especially since the saddest part of the story coincides with the beautiful climax of the song!!

A truly amazing ballad, PLEASE do check it out!

Once Upon A Time: '不作你的朋友' (Bu Zuo Ni De Peng You, Don't Wanna Be Your Friend), '天灰' (Tian Hui, Grey Skies), and '月桂女神' (Yue Gui Nü Shen, Laurel Tree Goddess)

'Once Upon A Time' was probably my favourite album in the sense that I thoroughly loved pretty every single song! Also, I listened to it heavily during a period of time where I have lots and lots of wonderful memories with my beloved cousin :) I had just become old enough to have sleepovers at my auntie's house and my cousin and I would have soooo much fun together! Playing computer games, playing video games, watching random lame shit on TV and Youtube, and my favourite...going out on late-night food and exploration trips!!

As a kid who grew up under the most over-protective parents in the whole of Asia, you have NO idea how much ecstasy this had brought me! It was amazing haha. So many good memories :')

Anyways back to the three amazing songs, all of them are ballads and although they each have very different styles, I love them all so much!! Truly beautiful tracks, you seriously have to go give them a listen!!

I also really like how each of them has a really nice concept to the MV.

The first one has an awesome plot twist and a great storyline, the second one is a beautifully sad tale that will have you reaching for the tissues, and the last one is just pure awesomeness because it's derived from ancient Greek mythology!

I am so amazed by how the people behind S.H.E can come up with seemingly INFINITE amount of song concepts and music video ideas!! Mad props, guys! Such a joy to watch :))

And lastly, we're down to our last album,

Play: '聽袁惟仁彈吉他' (Ting Yuan Wei Ren Tan Ji Ta, Listening to Yuan Wei-ren Play Guitar) and '再別康橋' (Zai Bie Kang Qiao, Farewell Cambridge)

As this was the last S.H.E album that I listened to, and was only released two whole years after its predecessor, I felt that it had a much more modern and "new" vibe to it. Also, I had grown up a lot during that window of time and thus no longer associated the songs with my lovely childhood memories but more so of my pre-teenhood, which wasn't exactly all sunshine and giggles :\

Anyways, I picked these two as my favourites because they're both very distinctly different from S.H.E's usual bubblegum-pop style! The former is an awesome rap song with a kickass R&B vibe, which I loooove~~ and the latter, I can't even pinpoint the style or genre but it just sounds GREAT! Not a very popular hit, yet again, but it's a really nice song so do give it a listen!

***

Hoo boy, I guess I'm finally done! That seriously took me WAY too long which is weird because this wasn't like a real, solid post or anything, pretty much just me raving about my favourite songs and shit. (with extreme high levels of crazy hormone-fueled fangirl rambling in the Exo part...)

If you've actually stuck through reading this entire post up til now, I'd like to first applaud you and also thank you from the bottom of my heart for actually taking so much time out of your day to read my nonsense. Also,

WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU DOING WITH YOUR LIFE?!!

Seriously you've just read a full body of nonsensical text that contains more than 3,500 WORDS!! Don't you have things to do?!! Like, actual important things???

And you have gained nothing at all, except for some LEGIT music recommendations so I seriously implore you to go check those amazing songs out, for crying out loud!

With that, I really really do wanna thank you for reading all this crap. I feel genuinely touched and so happy ^_^

If ever you see me in real life, do come up to me to redeem ONE COOKIE, as a token of thanks for reading this total poopoo post!

And even better yet, if you actually resonated with any of my points and share the same likings of music as me, PLEASE hit me up and we can chat about it over hot cocoa from Starbucks in addition to the free cookie that I will still give you and we can become best friends forEVAR~!!

I AM TOTES SERIOUS OKAY.

Til next time, ciao and happy listening to wonderful music~! :D

The next post will be back to normal with photos of my life and shit haha, I promise!!

Take care :))

2 comments:

  1. Yup, still have my Sony discman, I think it's even older than the one in the photo. I also still have walkman. x)
    Nostalgy is one of the best feelings..!
    I also like S.H.E. and love K-pop and really like EXO.. I'm so worried about Kris, he was always my favorite....
    All of those guys are just way perfect.. and yea Overdose is a darn addicting awesome song!
    I looked up Iggy Azalea, I didn't know her name actually oopsie.. might have heard her on radio.. I'm not into her or rap in general, I just can't get into it..nope..^^'
    Really love the way you write, like I'm there listening to your enthusiastic story-telling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love being introduced to new music. I'm not that rap music but I do enjoy listening to Eminem and Iggy Azalea. I'm especially proud of Iggy because she's Australia and I love it when Australians achieve worldwide success. I heard a few of SHE songs a very long time ago and haven't listened to them since.

    ReplyDelete