Sunday, 28 September 2014

Strangers' Reunion w/ Nerissa

Last Saturday, I had Nerissa come down to my turf so we could go grab a late brunch at Stranger's Reunion.

This was definitely a much needed reunion for us, since the last time we'd seen each other was almost an entire month ago (!). That is not okay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!1!

Missing all my cool baes very very much ;(


It was my second time visiting this glorious café, the first being a very memorable lunch session with Vanessa, Lynette, Rachael, and Nerissa once again, after our PR agency research trip.

Damn, all those school memories.

Not too sure how I feel about it being slightly less than a month before school reopens again. Add to that the fact that we all received our semester results last night and, not surprisingly, my GPA plummeted like a majestic, falling star. Sighhh.

ANYWAY.


Such an honour to be dining with a young lady as kind and gorgeous as Miss Ngein herself :)) <3


Initially Nerissa and I really wanted to meet up because it was gonna be that last opportunity of freedom for me before I was supposed to start work on Wednesday. Well.

The plans fell through and now I'm not gonna be working AT ALL.

Not gonna go into too much detail over what happened and why I was just dropped literally at the last minute, when I'd already signed every damn contract there is to sign, collected the work uniforms, and spent a substantial amount of time (no less than a total of six hours, i shit you not), energy, and MONEY, dashing around from the corporate office to the store headquarters to the actual branch that I was supposed to be working at and back to the office again, on a separate occasion, without prior notification, in order to secure this job assignment.

I hate recruitment agencies, let's leave it at that.

No but seriously though, I've dealt with like, three different recruitment agencies over the years and with the exception of one, just ONE, the office people who work there are all super inefficient and treat the student workers like absolute crap, looking down on you and making you feel stupid and downright worthless. Like, I don't get it??? Not to mention their grasp of the English language seriously makes me want to weep.

But yeah.

If I'm being 100% honest, I'm actually kinda glad because now I just feel soooo lazy and if given a choice, I'd much rather spend the remainder of my precious holidays just chilling with my family and friends, doing the fun stuff that I want, and savouring every chance to relax and recharge my batteries in preparation of the fast approaching new semester ahead.

On the other hand, no job = no monies.

And I'm already broke as hell :((


Speaking of broke...

Nerissa and were just chatting when all of a sudden I looked down at her hand which was just resting casually on the table, but it just so happened that there was a little piece of a burnt, broken french fry lying near it and...


I SWEAR I ALMOST HAD A HEART ATTACK RIGHT THERE AND THEN.


Look at that and tell me it doesn't resemble one of Ner's delicate, black-manicured fingers??!!!???!

LMAO.


Alrighty, time for the long-awaited FOOD PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brace yourselves!


My Smashed Avocado on Focaccia - with added bacon because I quite literally cannot survive without eating meat - making the grand total a whopping $19.50.

Bread was so-so, not too tough but not fluffy either. It did a swell job of balancing out the intense flavours of salty bacon and very rich avocado, though. As did the lovely arugula/rocket leaves. Initially I was like woahhh buddy calm down there's like a whole mountain of greens here, but by the halfway point I kinda wished that there was even more lol.

Flavours are definitely intense. The avocado mash tasted a lot more tart and tangy than I expected it to. They seem to have added quite a bit of extra ingredients into the mix to sort of neutralize the rich creaminess of avocado, which can sometimes be so overpowering that I can't get through half of the fruit without gagging from how jelak it is.

Oh yes and it comes with a couple of sliced cherry tomatoes too! I love how everything was stacked prettily, layer by layer. Very fancy indeed!

Although I'd hardly expect anything less considering the fact that I paid almost twenty bucks for a damn open-faced sandwich...




Nerissa's gorgeous Buttermilk Waffles with Vanilla Ice Cream and Fresh Fruits ($12.90).

I love how they serve it on such quaint and lovely plates. It brings my heart so much joy!!

And the way the chopped bananas and sliced strawberries are so perfectly framing the delectable scoop of ice cream, with a dainty scattering of blueberries? All topped off with a light sprinkling of yummy icing sugar. It's so dreamy, I can't even look at it right now. *sniffles* :'))

The waffles are wonderfully light and fluffy, and I'm not sure what kind of witchcraft was involved but the ice cream takes a relatively long time before it actually starts melting into a soupy mess, which is fantastic news for slow eaters like myself.

Their waffles also come with the option of artisan Greek yogurt instead, if you're into that kind of thing. But seriously though, the amazing vanilla ice cream is where it's at.


Truffle fries, ($12.90).

Yes, this side dish costs the same as the aforementioned waffles, which is considered to be a full (dessert) meal. Well, it is truffles we're talking about here. Plus, it's mightily delicious so I'm not really complaining.

Topped off with freshly grated truffle and delicate parmesan shavings.

Can I just take a minute to rave about how that little shot glass of truffle aioli dip is jawdroppingly AMAZING??!

Like seriously, never has there been a more delicious sauce. I don't even know how they do it. It's so, sooooooo tasty. I'm tearing up now, it's really that insanely good :'))

I know truffle fries are all the rage, but I haven't tried any other versions besides this one. And I ain't even mad, I could eat this all day!

It's a pretty big bowl and you know how your throat sorta gets too dry and maybe even a tad sore after you've had one too many fries? Well, that was definitely the case and we were kinda struggling to finish the last handful or so, but although I was hella full and my throat wasn't feeling the best, I physically COULD NOT STOP shovelling these little deep fried sticks of truffle-infused potato-y goodness down my gullet. And of course, cleaning out that shot glass completely and making sure not a single, microscopic drop of that absolutely divine aioli cream sauce goes to waste.



Ngeinrat obviously very excited about the lovely food laying in front of our eyes ( ᵕ́ૢ‧̮ᵕ̀ૢ)‧̊·*


Close up of the beautiful mess that was my smashed avocado heaven on a plate <3

Can you see how lean the bacon was???!!! LEAN BACON IS LOVEEEEE~~


And here we have a behind the scenes look at how I take my food shots lol, courtesy of Miss Nerissa.


Okay fun story time. When I met up with Nerner at the train station, I went up to her and said hi and the first thing I noticed...WAS THAT WE WERE WEARING TOTALLY UNPLANNED COUPLE RINGS AHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHA.


And on the same finger too, goddamn.

This reminds me of the time the two of us had to meet at Dover MRT station and go to class together. I arrived slightly later and I was scanning the crowd for Nerissa. When I spotted her, I was like holy shit you have got to be kidding me, and I had to try so hard to stifle an impending explosion of laughter. I walked up to her, wearing my denim jacket. And she turned to look at me, wearing a similar denim jacket herself. YOU SHOULD'VE SEEN THE LOOK ON HER FACE HAHAHAHAH SHE WAS LIKE WTF ARE YOU WEARING GIRL and we burst out laughing hahahahaha it was ridiculous. AND THE THING IS, THAT WASN'T EVEN THE FIRST TIME WE COINCIDENTALLY WORE THE SAME THING.

Pictorial evidence here and here.

Anyway, later on when we showed up to the classroom we found out that Vanessa had almost left the house that morning with a denim jacket as well. Almost.

That would've been a hoot and half *insert tear-inducing laughter emoji*

Alrighty, story time is over! Back to Strangers' Reunion~~




Their restroom is amazing btw, you should definitely go check it out hahaha.

I do apologise for not being able to provide a decent photo for your reference, but unfortunately I was too shy and awkward to stand there and take pictures of a freaking public restroom like some kind of country bumpkin lunatic. It also doesn't help that my old ass phone is laggy as hell and takes like twelve seconds to snap a single shot so basically I was stationed there holding up the giant clunker of a phone and like...yeah.

Just the mirror and counter area alone was like something straight out of an island resort villa, with beautiful stone sinks, flower arrangements and my personal favourite, aroma reed diffusers ❤ ❤ ❤

If I'm not wrong, the scent they're currently using is Peach & Orchid, and it smells soooo heavenly.

It's the little touches like these that show that the people behind this café really took every single aspect into consideration when making the place as perfect as possible, and making sure each customer who walks in is able to enjoy their experience to the fullest.



Cute little wooden tray the bill is served on instead of the traditional and boring leather bill covers, yet another nice touch! What's not so nice, is the bill itself...

Almost fifty bucks for a brunch for two...

It's actually pretty worth it considering the fact that the food was of amazing quality AND taste, the setting was lovely, the service was great and all in all, we really did enjoy ourselves. However, it still cuts like a knife to have to fish out all that money...for a single meal...when I have not been receiving any form of income whatsoever...

*SOBS*



It is now time for selfie pic-spam. Brace yourselves!


Kisses for my numba one luv <3


Afterwards we stepped out to have a walk (good for digestion, all that jazz haha) and the natural lighting from the sun was PHENOMENAL.


Close mouth close mouth open mouth open mouth.


Strolled around the block and discovered this gorgeous neighbourhood of the most adorable little shophouses, each one in a different colour.

Obviously this pretty pastel, mint green one was my favourite!

Also, purely by chance a police car drove by at the exact same second I snapped a picture. Pretty cool how it's perfectly framed haha.


When life presents you with a full length mirror, you MUST take mirror selfies.


So much love for this girl, I can't even begin to explain it ♡

Thank you for coming out all the way, and as usual, I had an absolute blast just chilling with you~ ^_^

xoxo

1 comment:

  1. I've dealt with recruitment agencies before and agree that some are useless. It's a pity it didn't work out for you. If you really get desperate for money, you could search the house for spare change or ask your parents or sell your snapbacks! Funnily enough, I was at a store yesterday smelling some perfume and there was one that was peach and orchid. I was deciding on whether to get it but I didn't because you could smell the alcohol in the perfume.

    ReplyDelete