Sunday, 15 February 2015

Suite Life in Guangzhou Part 2: Food on our First Day!

Wednesday, 24th December 2014
Panyu (Guangzhou, China)

Finally at the hotel at about 7AM, we check into our marvellous rooms and quickly get settled down (Settle Down by The 1975 is a grrreat song, i highly recommend it).

I popped into the shower and stood under the waterfall of close to boiling temperatures because it was a particularly freezing cold morning and, as it turns out, the jumpers and jackets I had packed were clearly not thick enough.


This is downright embarrassing to admit but, tragically I do not have any photos of the gorgeous hotel room at all because

1. I was completely exhausted when we first arrived and all I wanted to do was leap into the bouncy bed with very inviting, crisp white linens and snooze my head off.

2. Throughout the entire duration of my stay (which was three nights, if i remember correctly), I was a lazy piece of shit who procrastinated the simple task of snapping a few pics of the place and on Friday morning, we were off to a different hotel all the way over at Hengqin.

-_-

Here's a mirror selfie, however. Coz we all know that I'll always make time for those...


Isn't the bathroom just lovely?! And it's way bigger than what you can see in just the above picture, too.

Also, here are the cute ass toiletries:


UGH aren't they adorable?!!

And they smell AMAZING, too.


Alrighty so after taking a bath in which I practically boiled myself in the hope of retaining some much needed heat after I stepped out of the shower and into the unforgiving draught, I plonked myself onto the bed and had a very lovely slumber indeed.


This little handkerchief bird thingy was resting atop my pillow, how cute is that??


I woke up at about 6PM (oops, what happened to just trying to take a baby nap HA HA) and devoured the breakfast my mum had bought from McDonald's earlier that day when we were at Baiyun Airport.


Mcdonald's big breakfast! Scrambled eggs, chicken sausage patty, and English muffins with strawberry jam.

Pretty sure this is a standard menu item across all Macca's around the world haha. But it's still really cool to see the subtle differences! Like the box which is made of cardboard instead of Singapore's styrofoam version. And the packaging for their salt and pepper. Oh and correct me if I'm wrong but I think SG provides grape jam instead of strawberry? Heh


This one's interesting.

As you can see, it's a pretty large wrap which for whatever unknown reason happens to be green in colour.

And inside of it...


Turkey bacon, you tiao (dough fritters) and strips of omelette.

I was a little thrown off by the combination at first but I gotta say, these Chinese people are on to something good. It tasted pretty freaking delicious, much thanks to all the yummy fillings as well as the smokey BBQ sauce that was also within the wrap. Best of all, it was really filling teehee


Special shout-out to this little beauty right here.

You know how in the previous China post I raved on about how much I loved the soybean milk they served on Singapore Airlines? Well, nothing in the entire universe would've prepared me for THIS.

Initially I thought it was a cup of hot coffee that came with the McBreakfast set, but my mum told me that it was actually soybean milk.

"Great!", I thought. I freaking love soybean milk now, as it turns out.

So I took a little whiff of it and much to the delight of my senses, there was a spectacular aroma on top of the usual soybean scent. One that was faintly familiar, yet something that I couldn't quite put my finger on.

I took a little sip, and I swear, I PINKY swear, I almost fell over from how AMAZING that shit was.

Like, literally. I am not kidding right now.

While my tastebuds were having the absolute time of their lives, I continued being baffled by what that familiar aroma and flavour was. Something that was reminiscent of my childhood, in fact!

Thank goodness my mum was there to dispel my confusion by saying that it was actually special 红枣 (hong zao) or red date brewed soybean!

(taken from the McDonald's China website)

OH!!!!!! MY!!!!!!!!! GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Red dates featured prominently throughout my early childhood in the form of cheng tng and home brewed soups. Those were the only dishes I'd eat which included red dates and I never would've imagined they'd taste so ridonkulously good swirled into soybean milk! Oh my~~~

It was like discovering a new wonder of the world, really. HAHA ok perhaps I'm exaggerating a little but, damn. It really tasted fantastic!

Apparently people in China are very big on incorporating red dates in their foods, coz I also spotted some red date flavoured yogurt which seemed to be a hot favourite among both young and old (i'm assuming because they don't have a lot of teeth lol).

Try it for yourself if possible!! It really tastes grrreat :))

Alrighty then so that concludes me raving about how wonderful and life-changing hong zao soybean milk was for me lmao

After our 6PM "breakfast", we headed over to the circus (!!) which was some crazily good fun but there's a whole tonne of pictures so I'll save that for the next post.

Here's our post-circus dindin~!


Crunchy and delicious black fungus yet again! This one was tossed with some red chillies as you can see, giving it a pretty powerful kick.


BBQ chicken wings! It doesn't look too special but the marinade was KILLER. It smelled soooo good and I almost collapsed to the ground as the heavenly aroma taunted me while the meat was still too piping hot to eat.

Served with little fried potato chunks! Which could've tasted better in my opinion, but they were rather soggy :\


Sizzling claypot of Thai glass noodles looking very tantalising indeed.

Tragically they threw in way too much lemongrass and while my mum loved it, it proved to be a tad too overpowering for me and I couldn't bear to eat more than one mouthful at a time without having to cleanse my tastebuds with copious amounts of water :(

Hey, the prawns were terrific though! Super fresh and juicy :)

And now, arguably the highlight of the entire meal...


Spaghetti bolognese!!

I know, I know. Who the hell goes to China to eat ITALIAN food, right?

Well, this was one of my favourite dishes to have back in 2009-2010 when I was actually living in Guangzhou, at this very hotel in fact.

And it's no regular plate of spag bol, it's A+. ++++++++!!

Meat sauce is incredible and flavoured just PERFECTLY with all the best herbs and spices available, tossed in fresh, quality meat and veggies. Abundance of cheese, of course. And would you look at how gorgeous the bacon strips are?!

Amazing, really. So good :'))


Complimentary fruits at the end of our meal. I thought that white and green slice was pear but I took a bite and it turned out to be guava...

I love guava juice like crazy but that was my first time actually eating the actual fruit and...it tastes horrid??! I don't know man maybe that was just a ~bad fruit~ (lol im so punny) but it was almost completely tasteless with a gigantic sour aftertaste at the end and just...NO.

***

But yeah that comes to the end of China post #2 and I don't know about you but I am hella excited for the upcoming ones. Just thinking about all those memories is getting me so PUMPED!! Sorry if the posts so far have been a bit bland teehee but they're only going to get better and better, I promise!

In fact, the next post in this series is gonna be about our trip to the circus!! Hooray!!!!!!!!

I already started editing the pictures and trust me guys, you are going to be BLOWN AWAY by the sheer awesomeness of it all.

I'll see you guys real soon!!

xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Glad you had a fun time in China. The toiletries look really cute and I love how they form a picture. As far as I know, I don't think Australia has chicken sausage on the breakfast menu.

    ReplyDelete