Saturday, 13 June 2015

Pink Dot 2015

Attended Pink Dot for the very first time in my life today, and it was an absolute blast!

For those of you who aren't familiar, Pink Dot is an event held annually at Hong Lim Park for Singaporeans to gather and show their support for the LGBT community.

It started out in 2009, and look how much the "pink dot" has grown over the years!



And this year, the event had a record-breaking turnout of a whopping 28,000 people!! How crazy is that?!

You can only imagine how awe-inspiring that big of a crowd would look from an aerial view, right?

Well, no need to imagine. See for yourself:


Wow. Just WOW. Spectacular, isn't it?

I love this picture so much, it really is beautiful. But more than that, it speaks a great deal about how Singapore is taking some pretty big steps into the direction of progress. And I'm so, so happy and thankful to say that I am a part of it :))

***

The event was pretty awesome. We got to soak up the good vibes of just being in such a caring and positive environment. That feeling of being in this huge space where thousands of people decked out in pink clothes just like you, people of all ages and races, from all walks of life. And they all have one thing in common: they believe in LGBT rights. It's just an incredible feeling, really.

There was also a mini concert! The highlights for me personally were Hirzi's performance (a pity that Munah couldn't make it, but getting to hear him belt out all their hilarious parody covers live was AMAZING), the freaking fantastic dance performance (it was SO good, omg), and of course...freaking. SHIGGA. SHAY.

Oh my goodness, let me just tell you.

I am a fan of Shigga Shay and his music. I mean, seriously, any form of local rap and hip-hop music, I am 100% down. And Grizzle Grind Crew is just TEARING up the game.

But, I am not a crazy fangirl for Shigga Shay.

So admittedly, I was looking forward to his performance, but that was it. I was excited to see him do his thing, and rock out to some good music, but it's not like I would scream and go into manic hyper fangirl mode or anything.

Well.

I was wrong. Coz that happened.

Holy shit, I don't know what came over me, honestly. I think it was the lack of anticipation. I thought they would make an announcement or something before he came onto the stage, so as to hype the crowd up and stuff. But nooooo. He just came strolling in midway through some other guy (ok it was Darren Tan lol)'s performance, rapping and shit. In Chinese, no less!

So yeah, I started screaming lol

I literally could not stop screaming lmao. I think I was having a nervous breakdown hahaha

Then he started performing Lion City Kia and I was like...bruh.

I KNOW ALL THE LYRICS TO THAT FUCKING SONG!!!!!!!! OH MY GOD

I started rapping along to it and I was just like...UGH. I WAS SO INTO IT, OMG!

So yeah. Pretty good experience lol


Summer snapped this picture of me having a moment of spiritual awakening whilst watching Shigga perform a NEW song omg. It sounded hella good, man. Mad props to him (Y)


Sky was freaking gorgeous omg. There were streaks of pink as the sun went down leading up to the moment where we all pointed our pink torches in the air to form the pink dot. The Universe has spoken!! teehee lol

Some pictures we took throughout the event!

A photo posted by ★ Renae Cheng | 佳琪 (@renaecjc) on


A photo posted by ★ Renae Cheng | 佳琪 (@renaecjc) on

They had a photobooth complete with lots of wacky props, including...a pudding hat. OBVIOUSLY I had to put it on, right? #puddingfan4lyfe lmao


It even matches the little icon of this blog! FATE hahahahah

***

Today, I am grateful for all the wonderful homosexual/bisexual/transgender people I have gotten the pleasure of knowing in my life. Without them, I would probably have remained an ignorant young individual like I was many years ago, possibly even a little bit hateful, too.

There's still have a long way to go in terms of the LGBT community being granted of full acceptance, but I believe that if we all walk together hand in hand with all the support we can get, the journey won't be as hard.

Reminder that ALL of us, regardless of sexual orientation and gender identity, have the right to be safe and happy ALWAYS.

#FreedomToLove ❤

***

Here are some random photos taken throughout the day that are unrelated to the event itself! Pretty much just food we ate pre- and post-Pink Dot...lol

Summer took us to this super cute ice cream and waffles café which is honestly the bomb DIGGITY.


We got Earl Grey and Sea Salt Caramel ice cream. How huge are the scoops?! omg

They tasted fecking PERF too. As did the waffles, which were drizzled with just the right amount of chocolate sauce + syrup before a light dusting of sugar.

PERFECTION, really.

I wish to go there again. Like, real soon. Twelve hundred more times.

jks lol

Probs just until I get to try out all of their yummy ice cream flavours :))


Summer also got this awesome AFFOGATO concoction on the house from the boss coz she's a hella regular customer there. But then she put the price of it in their tip jar afterwards so. Yeah lol

AFFOGATO WAS SO GOOD!!!!!!! Quality shit, right there.

I want so many ice creams right now :((


Headed to Saizeriya after Pink Dot for a nice, quick, cheap and DELICIOUS dinner.

Didn't really notice it til we left the event venue but I was pretty famished hahaha

Gosh, I freaking love Saizeriya :'))

Oh yeah, Kenneth bought along some matcha (♥) cookies which he'd baked.


They were downright STELLAR, omg.

I'm not even kidding when I say those things are goddamn ADDICTIVE. Like, DRUG level addictive, I tell you. I literally could not stop reaching out for one after the other. They were SO good!! With the little white chocolate chips, OMG. I don't even LIKE white chocolate!!!!!! But these were yummy as hell. YOU DA MAN, KENNETH. (hi if you're reading this) (BAKE ME MORE STUFF) (pls)


I ordered this scrumptious curry baked rice with crispy fried chicken and LOTSA CHEESE (♥), plus the free-flow drink bar (where i just helped myself to trip after trip to the majestic MILO (♥) machine hahaha) and, get this...

IT WAS ALL LESS THAN TEN BUCKS.

Oh my lordy.

Have I ever mentioned how much I freaking LOVE Saizeriya?!

1 comment:

  1. I think I saw Clicknetwork feature this event some years ago. Don Richmond was doing some quiz about gaydar which the audience at home had to guess. I'm glad that the event is getting more popular as it means there are more tolerant people out there. It's great that you enjoyed the music from the event. As always I enjoy your enjoyment of food.

    ReplyDelete