Sunday, 30 August 2015

How A Song Saved My Life

I'd say I take the music I listen to pretty seriously, and every once in a while, I chance upon a song that is so perfect that I fall head over heels in love with it.

It goes well beyond simply playing it over, over, and over again.

I start noticing every beat, every riff, every single note. The lyrics get seared into my longterm memory.


What I particularly love, are lyrics that I find so meaningful that I actually have to take a moment to just absorb how brilliant a single line can be. And then I start using those quotes in my everyday life hahaha


For example, I overplayed The Way by my bb girl Ariana Grande (although she's been exhibiting some problematic behaviour lately and i'm just NOT feelin it...) SO much during 2013 when I first started my polytechnic journey.

I know it might be hard to believe seeing as I have an insane amount of love, pride and loyalty for all that is my class, my dream course, and the whole of Singapore Poly itself, but the beginnings of it all were actually pretty rocky lol

I was completely miserable...save for this song which really put me in a more chipper mood to start each day off.

And then I discovered the Spanish-English version, and that was just a whole other level of adoration.

Thus...I present to you my Whatsapp status for the past two years lol


Translation: "You're everything to me. I love you," then "I love it" in English hahaha

It first comes on at the 0:13 second mark and I freaking LOVE IT so much ahhh!!


Unchanged!!

Amazing hahaha

Gonna try and see if I can stick to this status for the rest of my life. Or until my usage of Whatsapp dies out completely, whichever comes first lol

yes i am crazy


Hell, just look at the number of times I've sampled lyrics from Angel by MFBTY, a song which I was obviously crazy about when I first discovered it a couple months back (still am, tbh!), to use as pointless captions on my Instagram posts lol

There's like a whole series!! here they are in chronological order lmao





hahahahahahahahahahhahahaha

Don't you just hate it when people act all deep and poetic by writing some inspirational bullshit in their caption that has nothing to do with the actual photo?? Me too HAHAHAHAHA ehh but seriously! There's actually ~some~ relation between the lyrics and the pics ok lol

See,

1. The lyrics say "like Taeyang (the singer, which also literally translates to the Sun) you Looked Only At Me (this a sneaky little reference to Taeyang's song! hehe how clever)", and the picture shows a sunset! A downright gorgeous one too, I might add.

2. Lyrics: "Angel, my angel. You make me smile. I could do anything for you, could even build a house." And...it's a picture of a beautiful architectural structure that is the National Museum of Singapore! damn, such symbolism haha MUCH WOW

Translations of the lyrics in 3 & 4 respectively are: "You, you...you melt my heart. You will always be my...(angel)" and "A smile spreads across my face. No matter what they say, Imma hold you closer."

And the relation it has to each of the photos they are captioned under...is absolutely nothing lol HAHAHAHA the photos are of myself!! I just wanted to caption them with some of my freaking favourite lyrics from one of my most loved songs ever, gosh. It brings me great joy okay DON'T JUDGE ME!!!!!

hahahahahaha


Anywho, I realised the other day while listening to some songs on my old phone that I've yet to discover a song I love as much as I do Moment 4 Life by none other than my queen, Nicki Minaj (lol i legit sound like a crazy fangirl rn is2g...) featuring Drake (who i'm a really big fan of as well! hehe)


i must've contributed to like, 12% of this video's overall views goddamn forreal tho...

These are the things I try my best not to say out loud, coz honestly speaking if someone were to utter such a thing in my presence I would probably just roll my eyes to the back of my head...

but seriously...This song saved my life.


I've mentioned before in previous posts that I first discovered my undying love for rap music some time towards the end of 2013, which coincided with a rather troubling time for me too as I was still quite unstable and struggling to pick myself up from relapses into depression and anxiety every few months or so.

Moment 4 Life was one of the first few tracks I happened to check out, and before the second verse even came on, I was sold.

HOW could a song be so goddamn powerful and inspirational??

Just listen to the words, it tells an amazing story and carries some of the most empowering and motivational messages I'd stumbled upon in a while.

Also, I am soooooooo in love with the beat and the melody is simply INSANE as well. It's one of those songs which I could listen to 6,000 times in a row and still not get sick of. Come to think of it...I'm pretty sure I've come close to that...lolololol

And yup, you guessed it. I love the lyrics so freaking much (how could you NOT?? Nicki writes some bomb ass rhymes and punchlines that hit so hard i can practically feel my mind getting propelled right out of the goddamn Universe lol) that one particular line has been my social media bio for the past two years or so lmao


unrelated to the rest of this post but am i like Swensen's biggest fan or smth?! lol


tru

No such thing as being "lucky", I know when I'm being thoroughly blessed and favoured upon by the Universe, the Gods, the various stars in the skies or whatever greater force out there that you may choose to believe in (i personally believe in a little bit of everything).

And with that being said, I know to be 100% grateful, appreciative and aware of the fact that I am, indeed, (wait for it...)

...#blessed lol HAHAHHAHAHAH


Also, the part (at 3:35 to 3:53) that goes "This is my moment, I waited all my life. I can tell it's time. Drifting away, I'm one with the sunset. I have become alive." just gives me absolute CHILLS every time I hear it.

It's like...yes. I've lived for almost two decades. But the beginning part of my life was so turbulent, and I felt so incredibly shitty most of the time that I spent my days wishing and wanting for my happiness to finally arrive.

And I did it.

I waited. And I suffered. All the pain and torment that came with the years of waiting, wishing and hoping. I took it all. And I survived.

And now, here I am.

Happier than I ever would've even DARED to think would be possible when I was just a little girl.

(i'm not even kidding, there are plenty of days where i just sit back in awe of how mind-bogglingly joyous and blessed i actually feel...and am. like, isn't there a limit to how AWESOME life can be??! hahaha)

And this is it. THIS is the start of my life. I am finally, alive.


"I wish that I could have this moment for life."

To me, it doesn't mean trying to hold on to a moment because you can't bear to let it go.

It's about being present in the moment as it's taking place in your life, being absolutely aware and grateful for it, and having it "for life" in the form of a beautiful new memory, and receiving proof once again that you are an utterly and amazingly BLESSED human being, living an incredible life.

Cheesy, I know. You might even find it super cringeworthy and borderline disgusting haha


I wouldn't say I'm an optimist. I'm quite the compulsive worrier, in fact, and my brain has been wired since young to jump to the worst possible outcome in every situation possible. Every thought that I have just tends to turn to the negative.

I'm not trying to see the world through rose-tinted glasses, where everything is perfect and dandy and it's all sunshine and rainbows and everyone is happy and good and kind all the time and we all get to live forever lol

That ain't what life is about.

All I've been trying to do, and what I hope to continue getting better at with time and continued effort, is to be mindful of and thankful for the infinite blessings in my life, as much as I possibly can.


If it took a Nicki Minaj song to do just that, then I am nothing but grateful for it.

Also, it's a bomb ass song anyways, aye?

*pops booty to the beat*

lol

#blessed

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that music really helped you out during a tough time in your life. I hope you continue to be positive and hopeful for the present and future. Have you heard a Japanese version of The Way? It's my favourite cover of the song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHrI-1V6acg Also, I enjoyed listening to Moment 4 Life.

    ReplyDelete